Coping with Aging Parents: 5 TIPS
- Care: Tell your parents that you care about their health. Sometimes children of ailing parents can fall into a routine of administering care but never saying what’s most important.
- Share: Let other family members know about details of your parent’s condition. At the same time address how this condition should be discussed or not discussed during family gatherings.
- Respect: In all interaction with your parents show them proper respect. Adult children responsible for care giving can sometimes become frustrated with how much it dominates their lives.
- Routine: Create a schedule of care giving that your parent can expect and look forward to. Having a set schedule helps your parents and you plan ahead and get into the proper frame of mind for visits to the doctor or other activities.
- Fun: Don’t forget the fun aspect of providing care to your parents. No matter what they’re condition they will still find family gatherings and outings rewarding. Don’t make care giving all work and no play.